Missing teeth have more of an effect on your quality of life than just an embarrassing gap. Eating, speaking and other necessary daily activities become more difficult. Bone loss can occur, causing facial muscles to sag. Decreased self-esteem causes awkward social situations. Luckily, your Easton, MD dentist, Dr. Kristine Hock Morris can provide you with the information you need to get your life back on track. Dental implants can give you your smile back and last a lifetime.
How do dental implants work?
Dental implants replace your missing tooth’s root. A post is surgically implanted into the jawbone underneath the gum tissue. A dental crown is then attached to the post, giving you a natural looking, permanent and functional addition to your smile. Good candidates for dental implants must have enough jawbone for the implanted post to be integrated into. They should also be in good general and dental health as the procedure is a surgery requiring general anesthesia and recovery.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Confidence: Dental implants permanently fill in the gaps left by missing teeth. This can boost your self-esteem, making face-to-face conversations easier and more enjoyable. A proper chewing surface can also make eating and chewing easier.
- Bone preservation: Natural teeth are embedded into the jawbone, stimulating the bone from activities like chewing. If a tooth is missing, the bone is no longer stimulated and it begins to deteriorate. Bone loss can be decreased with dental implants, which are implanted into the jawbone and keep the bone from degrading.
- Stability: Dental implants are securely implanted into the jawbone beneath the tooth. They are non-removable and permanent. You will not have to worry about them moving or falling out, as you may experience with dentures.
- Long-lasting: Dental implants can last a lifetime with the proper care. No special care is required other than an excellent at-home oral hygiene routine. This includes brushing and flossing twice daily and keeping up with biannual dental checkups.
- Convenient: Once dental implants are in place, they are not going anywhere. After the procedure, you will have natural looking teeth in place of your gaps with no extra cleaning or soaking necessary. You may also eat all your favorite foods without worrying about your teeth.
To learn more about dental implants, please contact Kristine Hock Morris, DDS in Easton, MD. Call (410) 770-9211 to schedule a consultation for dental implants today!